Be part of #Bmorethical2017: Communities confronting systemic racism!
102nd AEU Assembly, June 8-11
Holiday Inn Inner Harbor, Baltimore, Maryland
Details & registration at aeu.org/event/aeu-102nd-assembly
Early-bird discounts end May 8
Learn about growing Ethical Societies! Develop effective ways of confronting systemic racism through ethical relationships that lead to action! Enjoy inspiring speakers and lovely entertainment! With assistance from our partners, including humanist groups and grassroots organizations with first-hand knowledge of fighting systemic racism, we will advance more comprehensive strategies to spread Ethical Culture and to build racial justice within organizations, communities, and relationships.
Bmorethical2017 will explore:
· What assumptions and behavior patterns prevent us (as individuals and communities) from growing more inclusive and open in rethinking approaches to racial justice?
· How can humanist communities, such as Ethical Societies, collaborate with grassroots
and interfaith groups to build coalitions that advance common objectives while respecting different perspectives?
· How can we incorporate the wisdom of those most oppressed by white supremacy while not creating frames that distort their voices?
· How do we become aware of and respond to the multiple, overlapping forms of oppression that people experience?
Bmorethical2017 will include:
- “This is Lea” concert with Lea Morris and a sing-a-long with EthicalNYC’s Maggie Determann and AEU’s Larissa Perez
- Workshops led by Leaders and members of the AEU, researchers, United Coalition of Reason, Secular Student Alliance, and Showing Up for Racial Justice
America’s four hundred years of systematic racism make these questions and objectives particularly challenging. The current wave of intolerance and violence makes finding new approaches to confronting a racist culture even more pressing. To be more effective, contemporary Ethical Culture must go beyond the strategies of the past. Our actions must be guided by the wisdom of those with first-hand knowledge of the extent and power of systemic racism. Bmorethical2017 will offer opportunities to develop relationships with people and groups outside Ethical Culture. The future of Ethical Culture and the United States depend on it.
Registration is now open. Visit the AEU Assembly website for more information!